May 9, 2006

May 9, 2006

May 9, 2006, 7:00 P.M.

The Salem Township Board of Trustees met May 9, 2006 in regular session at the Township Hall for the purpose of transacting the business of the Township. Chairman Dick Kilburn called the meeting to order at 7:00 P.M. with members Rob Glancy and Dick Dare present.

Others present were Fred LaFollette, Bill Harrison, Richard Bierley, Roy & Vicky Prince, Ralph Blanton and Bob Blankenship.

The minutes were read and approved and posted in the township hall.

Cemetery Update
There were no cemetery updates for this period.

Zoning – Roy Prince Property
Roy Prince and his wife Vicky were present to give the trustees the original site plan for the property where they are rebuilding a residence. He told the board that it is approximately 6.5 feet to the property at the back of the house. They had filled out an application for a variance to submit to the Zoning Board of Appeals for a variance. Bruce McGary from the prosecutor’s office suggested waiving the fee except for advertising costs since a permit had been issued in error. Mr. Prince was in agreement to this proposal and will pay the costs to advertise the special zoning meeting.

Fire Truck Purchase
Ralph Blanton is working with Lebanon Citizens National Bank to get the acquisition notes for the purchase of the new fire truck. The current rate is 5.9%. He will call up to Sutphen’s and see if the bank they work with has a better rate. The delivery date is set for June 8. He said he would have the loan finalized by then.
They have put pricing out for equipping the new truck.

Fire Department/Road Report
Fred reported that he had an application for a part time firefighter/EMT employee and asked the board to approve hiring Michael Roberts pending drug test and physical exam. Dick Kilburn made a motion to hire Michael Roberts as a part time paid employee of the fire department. Rob Glancy seconded the motion.
Vote: Kilburn, yea Glancy, yea Dare, yea

Fred told the board that there was a great deal of damage done to Waynesville Road when a power company was unloading equipment to work on the lines. It appeared the damage was done Saturday,
May 6th.

It was mentioned that Phyllis Wilders wanted to have copies of the minutes when purchasing the property for the future firehouse was discussed. The trustees then questioned whether it was ever in the minutes that it was the Brown Family farm and that the family would like there to be some plaque in the new building that mentioned the building was on the site of the Brown Family Farm. This was to confirm the past discussion of the issue.

Bennett Road
The condition of Bennett Road was discussed. There are several hazards at the concrete headers where there is no guardrail. Jeff from the county office went with Fred to look at the problems and found four trouble spots. They need to add dirt first. At the first property the dirt will fall over onto the property so they will have to discuss it with the owner. The county engineer’s office will pay for the guardrail.

Dick Kilburn asked about the meeting with the county commissioners regarding the problems at Briarwood. No one can find the old punch lists on the original problems. Dick Dare will try to get in touch with Phil Ginther to work out the problem. If no one at the county office can come up with the list, the township will make their own list.

Fred stated that the ditching was almost complete. The invoice from Security will be higher since they ran over by about 1100 feet.

Richard told the board he would take the variance application from Roy Prince to Larry Newberry.
He told the board he was concerned about the entrance planned for the development on Foster Maineville Road. But Rob said since it exits onto a county road, the county would handle the site distance approval.
He issued three permits for this period.

Concerning the Miracle case, he talked to Bruce McGary and was told the prosecutor’s office is submitting their rebuttal to the case the Miracles have against the township.

Richard also has spoken with Donald Lynch about his proposed fence. Mr. Lynch said he had put together a site plan but did not have it yet. He and Mr. Cress have agreed that there will be 3 feet between the fence and Mr. Cress’s property.
Richard also reported that he has received sign permit requests from Mr. Lynch and Sea Breeze.

Rob told the board that Bruce McGary would like to have a quick training session with the trustees and the Board of Zoning Appeals.

Miscellaneous Matters
The problem of handling traffic while the paving is done on Woodward Claypool was discussed. Road closed signs will have to be put out to alert people.

Fred told the board he would be out of town this Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Bob Blankenship came from the Village meeting and reported to the board that they had awarded the bid for the Virginia/Hopkins project to R.B. Juergenson of Vandalia. They have 90 days to complete the project. It came in lower than the estimate.

Fiscal Matters

Approval to pay bills
The clerk presented checks # 3598 through #3640 which totaled $22,913.90
The board examined the bills that were presented for payment and Dick Kilburn made a motion to pay the bills as presented. Dick Dare seconded the motion.
Vote: Kilburn, yea Dare, yea Glancy, yea

For this reporting period the fiscal officer deposited receipts in the amount of $9,098.27
This amount included receipts #5288 through #5300.

With no further business to come before the board, Rob Glancy made a motion to adjourn the meeting at 7:50 P.M. Dick Kilburn seconded the motion.
Vote: Glancy, yea Kilburn, yea Dare, yea